Monday, September 8, 2008

O, be honest

I really don't know why I write this stupid blog...

Oprah Winfrey has turned her back on her audience. She had decided to support Obama and said she will no longer use her show as a political platform for candidates. Huh? So this comes, she says, now that she has aligned herself with one of them. Here is the story.

Oprah is a brand in herself. She has so much power in the media, just the attachment of her name to Obama's campaign is using her show as a platform for a candidate. If she really did not want to use her show as a platform she would not be out campaigning for Obama. She can back whoever she wants. That is not where I have the problem.

The problem here in she should just come out and say "I support Obama and having Palin on my show will decrease his chances. Therefore I will not have her on because I don't want to give the opposition any more media coverage than they are already getting." It's no secret that there is very little media coverage for the opposition in the first place.

I think she is alienating herself from her audience. Women love Oprah. There may be a small portion that support her based on her race. But I think the show is primarily geared toward women. So, the most popular woman in the world right now, who is a prime example of the "supermom" should not be on the show?

Someone will do it and there will be a bunch of people watching. With all of these other competitors to Oprah, it should be no problem finding a replacement to interview Palin. Liberal or not, those would be good ratings for anyone.

No comments: