Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fast Food

Headlines are pleading, "Are we in a recession?", "How bad will the economy get before it gets better." Some people out there are convinced we will be in the middle of a scene from Mad Max in a matter of months. I suppose we will see. But things can't possibly be that bad. We are banning growth in some parts of the country.

The L.A. Times has reported a Los Angeles City Council committee voted to ban any new fast-food restaurants from being built. Find the story here. First of all, the criteria that defines a "fast-food" restaurant is still being debated. But why do they get to chose? How come the city council gets to decide what food I am going to eat? Do they think this will deter people from eating fast-food? I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish. If you don't want to eat right, your not going to eat right.

"I'm hungry, I think I'll head down to McDonalds. What, they did not build that new one right by my house? I guess since I will have to drive a little farther I will just go to the grocery store and cook at home."

How many times has this ever happened to you? None. I guess as long as you take away options, there is no choice. But hey, "they" are just watching out for you.

You don't have to eat right. This is America and you can eat anything you want. Well, at least you used to be able to.

No comments: