Sunday, July 27, 2008

Intelligence

Blogging is stupid...

On that note, I met someone last night that was extremely smart. She graduated Summa Cum Laude and moved here to work for a very large American defense contractor. Oh ya, she is 22!!! As I sit here thinking about what the hell I have been doing for the past ten years, many stupid decisions come to mind. None of which I would like to currently disclose. I am in my mid-twenties and I am only a junior in college. I defend this with the excuse that I started late.

As I reminisce about those early days out of high school, I think about what makes us intelligent. I believe there are many different types of intelligence. Nobody can know everything. Some, such as the girl I met, put importance on things like book smarts. Lebron James went into the NBA right out of high school. He did not have any interest in higher education and he seems to be doing fine. Maybe that's a bad example. I think you get the idea.

All day I have been thinking about that girl I had met and felt so depressed because I could only think about how much better she will make the world and how much of a burden I put on it. I have decided that I think about stuff too much! I believe that you will succeed in the things you apply yourself to. She applied herself to getting through school and earning high grades. I applied myself to some not so wholesome endeavors.

I may place so much importance on intelligence because I feel it ties to success. I know there are stupid people that are rich and smart people that have nothing. I understand this. But aren't your chances of success a little higher if your smarter?

I think the conclusion I have come to is a quote my mother used to always say. I should have just listened to Mom

"You can be anything you want to be, as long as you put your mind to it."-MOM

No comments: