Monday, July 28, 2008

Smoking

Ever seen Kingpin? Woody Harrelson, Randy Quaid. Roy Munson (Harrelson) was a bowler who lost his hand and meets Amish Ishmael Boorg (Quaid) and tries to teach him to bowl like a pro. Pretty funny movie. There is a scene in the movie where they are riding in the car and Munson offers Ishmael a cigarette. Ishmael tells Munson how bad they are for him. Munson replies by explaining how the tobacco company would not want their customers to die because if they were dead, they could not make any money. Therefore they would not make a product that would kill them...

I have decided to quit smoking. So far, so good. I have only been tempted maybe once or twice. Friday night, Saturday morning I think I smoked about two packs. John Wayne used to smoke four to five packs a day. I have no idea how in the hell he did that. He would have to be smoking all the time. There are 24 hours in a day, your awake for about 16 of them. There are 20 cigarettes in a pack. 20 cigarettes times four packs a day, equals 80 cigarettes. That is about five cigarettes an hour. That means a cigarette every twenty minutes. It takes about ten minutes to smoke it. There is no way!! I don't believe it.

I had smoked so much I felt ill. This is not the first time such an event has occurred. Just about every time I get a few drinks in me I smoke a pack. Every smoker knows how much money he wastes. We know how bad it is for our health. We know we smell bad. We know the tobacco companies are trying to kill us. But it's hard. It's very hard. And we all hate being told to stop.

I worked with this guy who used to smoke and thought he was God's gift to mankind. He was so great because he was able to quit smoking and drinking and follow a divine path. Wonderful, to each is own. But don't tell me how I need to live my life. It just makes me want to smoke more. So if you know a smoker, leave them the hell alone. They will quit when they want.

No comments: